Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Beans, beans the magical fruit

Beans are up!! The rain a couple nights ago and the full moon last night got all of my beans out of their seed coats. I'll need to go water them this evening so they don't dry out during their first day above ground. I'm trying 4 different types of beans this year. 2 dry beans and 2 "green" beans, (one of which is purple). Next year I probably won't waste the garden space on dried beans, it's too easy and too cheap to go to the store and buy a 3 pound bag of organic dried beans. But, I had the room this year and it sounded fun. :-) We'll see. Green beans, now that's no question. Green beans are one of those crops that's easy to grow, hard to kill and soooo good fresh out of the garden. Plus, I grew up with canned green beans, and I like them almost more that way than I do fresh, if such a thing is possible.
I harvested another 77 grams of loose leaf lettuce and spinach last night. I only picked about half of what was ready. :-) I'm totally sold on cold frames. I'll be moving to a new garden this fall and that cold frame is coming with me. I'm excited to see how far I can extend the season into the fall.
My little romaine lettuce patch outside the cold frame is coming along, most are about 2 inches tall and 2 inches wide. My patch of brown mustard is about the same size. I'll probably thin it this weekend. I would love to try my hand at canning some of these wonderful spring greens... but I don' t think I'd get my money's worth. It takes such a large amount of greens to get a jar's worth, I would have to find a really really good deal at the farmers market, I don't think I can harvest enough from my plot to have a go at it. Maybe if I get a really good deal on a couple pounds of spinach I can can a couple of half pints for me. (My Dave doesn't like canned spinach) Although, that makes me wonder if I can pressure can just two half pints in a batch without blowing something up... time to research. :-)

No comments: