Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mmmm I Heart Spinach


I ate my first spinach out of my cold frame tonight. It's been ready for awhile, a couple of weeks at least, I just kept forgetting to go out and grab a handful when I was making salads. :-D Well, today I remembered, and it's super tasty! I can't think of a better way to celebrate the beginning of spring.
I spent the morning cleaning up the container garden, pulling out old annuals, getting soil into the empty pots and giving perennials some compost top dressing. I also moved the perennials that overwintered in the basement back out to the driveway. It's supposed to rain for the next couple of days, I'm hoping it gets my lettuce seeds sprouted and perks up the basement plants, they were getting kinda sad in the basement.
It's looking like I'll have a pretty cool container garden this year. I think I'll have green beans, peas, lettuce/spinach, eggplant, tomato, rhubarb and herbs in containers. The rhubarb and chives and green sage and russian sage are already up.

It's looking like my onion sets will be here in Mid-April. I'll have to get them in the ground a few weeks after our little one joins us.

No comments: