Friday, March 20, 2009

Equinox Potato action!


I've got seed potatoes sprouting! I have 2 varieties, Yukon Gold and Desiree. They will be on the window sill for about 2 weeks, and then I will cut them into slips and put them in my fancy little vertical potato plot.
Of course, we won't mention that in 2 weeks I could be giving birth, or recovering from said birth. But, somehow I'll get potato slips into dirt. Eventually. I'm sure.

It's nice to have things planted and sprouting and growing. The spinach out of my cold frame is tasty, and I've got the other half of the frame seeded with lettuces. Tomatoes are in the basement, hopefully germinating. :-D Yay spring!

This weekend, tonight really, is spring equinox. Which means? Come on, think hard, all the way back to Jr High science.... :-) After tonight the days are increasingly longer than the nights! Dave and I aren't planning anything too exciting for this time of fertility. Mostly due to our own fertility. I'm too big for exciting. :-D (If you've ever wondered what bunnies and eggs have to do with Easter, look up some of the pagan celebrations surrounding Ostera. ) But, I might plant a few seeds or take a long walk. We'll see.

Happy Equinox everyone. If you have some dirt, put some seeds in it this weekend! (nothing frost tender though) ;-)

No comments: