Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Imbolc


This weekend marked the pagan celebration of Imbolc. Ever wondered where the tradition of spring cleaning came from? This is one of it's roots.
Now, being city-dwelling pagans in our rental house, we did nothing with fire. I know, sad, but true. :-) I did get 3 loaves of yummy bread baked, a whole bunch of cookies baked and the house cleaned. Not that Dave didn't help with the cleaning, he did, but his version of "All done" and my version are still a little different. And, after I had wore myself out with cleaning, he was good enough to make the cassarole planned for dinner.
I had my friend Claire over to split the seed order we went together on, and we pigged out on pizza and homemade cookies while we dreamed of garden bounty.
I did make it out to my community plot for a little bit. I was hoping to be able to poke the garlic bulbs into the ground, but it was still frozen solid. Dave laughed at me for hoping such a thing, but hey, a girl's got to have dreams right?
The signs of spring were definitely in the air this weekend though. It got up to the 40's on Saturday and Dave and I went out for an hour long walk in our local park. The spinach in the cold frame are galantly putting on real leaves, and my orchid has blossomed.
It was a lovely weekend, even without any fire. :-)
My mother tells me our relatives in Louisianna were planting their gardens this weekend. I am not jealous.. I am not jealous.. I am not jealous... :-D

No comments: