Wednesday, March 31, 2010

1 year

Today is Rowen's First Birthday. :-) I can hardly believe that it's been a year since he was born. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing him into this world and into our lives.
He is now totally weaned, just last week he stopped wanting to breastfeed before bed. *sigh* I know I'm going to miss it, but I'm glad he got boob juice for as long as he did. He's eating solid food like a champ, he loves onions and my home-canned carrots and peas and corn, pasta and red sauce is always a hit, and oatmeal in the mornings is a constant. He's still fearful of walking without support, but I can see his first steps coming. He loves his Daddy, with the word "Dada" as his most said word so far. "Kitty" is his other word, and not surprisingly he plays often with the kitty, sharing his toys most days.
We continue to aim for low impact, most of his clothing is second hand, from either my cousin or the consignment shop. It's worked really well so far, so I don't see it changing anytime soon. He's still in cloth diapers, and we're happy to have sunshine and warmer weather for line drying again. Those diapers were looking a little grungy by the end of winter. :-D We don't buy him much in the way of pre-made snacks, both to avoid the excess packaging and the excess sugars. So a lot of his food is either fresh fruit or bulk bought organic yogurt, oats, etc. I can't wait until the garden starts producing. It'll be great to introduce him to fresh veggies.
We'll have a small celebration tonight, I'm thinking homemade carrot cake and maybe some icecream. I'll probably invite some of the neighbors over, there have been a couple that we've already met and visited with, one in particular has brought us baked treats and so a return gift of carrot cake would be in order. :-) I'l post the requisite baby-eating-cake picture tomorrow.

1 comment:

Juliana Crespo said...

This is so sweet :). Luna will be eight months old next week, and I already have the sense that before I know it, she'll be one year old. There's something bittersweet about it, that first year that goes by so fast.