Monday, February 15, 2010

A quilting kinda weekend


Mom and I (and Rowen) went to the Quilt shop-hop over in the Amana's this weekend. Wow were there some cool quilts. I got some great ideas for presents to give to the women on my mom's side of the family, cute little needle holders. Mom bought a pattern/kit and I peeked at it over lunch. I don't know if I'll wait until I can use her pattern or whether I'll just wing it with what I remember.
I bought some fabric of course. Found some awesome flannel in a bright blue to finish the wall hanging that I posted about last week. Found a bunch of the fruit/veggie print that I've been pining over for months. The veggies will be made into market bags and the fruits will be made into lunch box bits. The lunch box is still in the planning stages, but I want to make at least one for me to take to work, and another for Rowen. If Dave decides he likes it and wants one, that'll be three. I might make one to give away too. I'll use that cute fruit print, and some of the PUL that's leftover from diaper making.
I also learned how to do paper piecing, which was totally new to me, and looks awesome! I feel vindicated now for my little box full of 2" or larger scraps. Paper piecing will use those cute fabric scraps so they won't go to waste. The way I figure it, most of my fabric probably comes from Asia, that's a long way to travel to get to my project table, the least I can do is use every last scrap. Paper piecing will also progress my hand-sewing skills. The traditional quilt made by paper piecing scraps is Grandma's Flower Garden, example above.
Projects in the pipeline right now:
Shirt for salsa dancing. Coming along nicely, I have the back and the front bodice pieces hemmed together. A couple more seams and I'll do the first try on.
Rowen's footie pj's and wall hanging. Also coming along nicely, I think it'll be no problem to have at least one of them done by his birthday party next month. Maybe even both, depending on when I go back to work. I got the back cut out last night and some letters to applique? his name on the front.

I have a birthday party coming up for a 1 year old girl, and a wedding for an old friend. Both of which I'm planning to sew for. Either a bag with her name on it or something stuffed and fuzzy for 1 year old Aubrey. Wedding present ideas include a napkin set or potholders.
Lots to do, but at least it keeps me busy!

No comments: