Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Years resolution fun

So, one of my resolutions this year is to get better at my sewing and quilting. To that end, I've started some footie pj's for Rowen, as clothing is definitely my weak spot with sewing. I had to steal a bright blue zipper for my mother, and I messed up the cutting out of the fabric, I meant for the front to be all stripes and the back to be all bugs, but oh well. I cobbled it together yesterday. All I need to do now is find some tube knitting for the cuffs and collar, and sew the little booties onto the legs. It's still big, he won't fit into these until Summer or Fall I think. So, I have time to figure out the whole tube knit thing. (And time to find some in a color to match this craziness!)
Then, to try something new I whipped up a bright quilt top out of some flannel scraps leftover from the pj's.
This project was great, because I was actually using scraps, and it was fabric that was too cute to throw away or toss into storage for a 'someday'. I just started cutting strips, then I made up a block that used those strips. Nothing really fancy, it's probably not even a block that has a name, but I kinda like the results. I was inspired by the log cabin block, but mine didn't turn out anything like it. :-) Hopefully I'll have this turned into something useable soon. Not sure if I'll make a wall hanging out of it or try and turn it into a pillow or what. It might depend on how hard it is to find matching flannel/fabric.
It was nice to work on a new quilt, I've been trying to finish up my first quilt this winter. As a first quilt goes, it's not bad, but there's definitely a lot I learned in the making of it, and things that I was able to do differently with this flannel one, because of that learning. It made the whole process much more enjoyable.

On a related note, I have 14inches of scarf knitted! I think I've really got the hang of the knit stitch. I can't wait to learn the next one.

No comments: