Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Handmade Yule

It wasn't really a goal or a formal challenge for myself, but I have managed to put together a handmade Yule.
It feels quite nice to know that none of the presents I'll give out this year were made in China, none were bought at Walmart, and all were made by me.
I made a few different bags, I made some funky fleece hats for the horde of nieces/nephews, some herbs from this summer, and some lounge pants. Nothing terribly hard, thankfully :-) and all went without hiccup. I even had time to make my new family some stockings. :-D
To complete the victory I decided yesterday that I couldn't stand the thought of wrapping all that warm fuzziness in cold eco-not-friendly wrapping paper. So I made gift bags out of cheap holiday fabrics from Jo-Anns. I got a few different fabrics and I made a few different sizes of bags, ending up with 10 bags.Right now they are just closed with elastic in a casing. But, I left the casing open, and I made it larger than needed for elastic. Hopefully next year I can add ribbons or cording to the closing and make them prettier.

And, just to be an overachiever, I got the rest of the diaper covers completed. Yay!
Gift tags and cards still need to be made out of my paper crafting stock. :-)
I'm hoping everything gets done. :-D

Happy Yule,
Blessed be this longest night;
And Goddess Bless with morn's first light.

1 comment:

Jon Lorisen said...

My great grandmother used to knit me sweaters every Christmas. They were beautifully made though I confess, I rarely wore them as I didn't really like sweaters :)

A friend made me a wool sweater recently, it's great for colder camping nights though the style is a little off. I really enjoy the handmade gift though, it means a lot to have it. Plus, the quality is great, it will be something that will get used for years and I will think of her each time I wear it.

"It feels quite nice to know that none of the presents I'll give out this year were made in China, none were bought at Walmart, and all were made by me."

- absolutely