Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The end of the cold frame.


So, my cold frame has yielded another tidbit of information. I planted 3 different types of spinach last fall. Monnopa seems to be the winning variety from the trial. While the other two were equally tasty, and equally hardy, the Gigantic and Bloomsdale are bolting and the Monnopa is still putting out leaves. That is good to know. You can see the 3 rows in the picture, Monnopa is the one on the left.

Sadly, the cold frame must be dismantled in the next week and moved to our new house. The lettuce I planted will not have time to mature. I might try and transplant some of the larger sprouts into containers, but I can't imagine it will be very successful. *sigh* Sad, I do love my lettuce. But, I guess I'll just have to try for a crop this fall.

All in all, it was an interesting trial. I got a bunch of spinach out of it, and some good information.



The rest of the container garden is planted and ready to move to the new house. Hopefully there's room for them all. :-D
I ended up with lots of herbs, a pepper plant, an eggplant, a tomato, a broccoli, a pot of peas and a pot with radishes and leaf lettuce.

No comments: